There’s a holiday dedicated to everything; from International Hummus Day to British Sandwich Week! It’s only right that serious issues get their day in the limelight as well. World Environment Day is on the 5th of June, every year.
So, what is World Environment Day?
- World Environment Day is a day for encouraging global awareness and action to help our environment.
- Its goal is to encourage people to get involved and do something to help the planet!
- World Environment Day has a different theme every year; this year’s theme is Air Pollution.
How can you take part in World Environment Day?
There are lots of little things that everyone can do to help protect our Environment. We’ve outlined a few simple, everyday changes you can make to help the planet below:
- Pledge to walk or cycle more, instead of driving a car everywhere. Both are great ways to get some exercise and get outside. You could start with swapping out one regular car journey a week, for a walk instead. If transport is a must, consider public transport or lift sharing.
- Getting a taxi somewhere? Go green. Company’s including Uber now offer the option to request an electric vehicle.
- Make some small changes to your diet. Reducing your meat and dairy consumption can help cut methane emissions. If you eat meat every day, perhaps consider allocating some meat-free days to your week.
- Help raise awareness. Promote World Environment Day on social media. Let people know about events happening in your area, share environmental facts and let people know what you’re doing to help the environment! You can register your own event here.
- Recycle. Waste in landfills releases harmful toxins, black carbon and methane into the atmosphere.
As a cat owner, there are simple choices you can make to recycle a little more:
- Choose an eco-friendly litter-box. Most litter boxes are made from plastic, but you can choose options that are made from biodegradable plant fibres, which are better for the environment. You can also opt for biodegradable cat litter!
- Recycle your cat food pouches. Billions of pet food pouches are currently sent to landfill. With a typical cat food owner using 1000 pouches a year and 1.1 million cats in the UK the scale of the issue is staggering. Our Purr-Cycle recycling programme is a not for profit scheme (we make no profits!). We created the programme to give people the choice to recycle their pouches.
When it comes to getting involved with World Environment Day, there’s something for everyone. It’s not just about the day itself; every day you can make small changes to help the planet!
You can find more information on this year's World Environment Day here.